Meaning of "Under God"

Stephen Wasby wasb at albany.edu
Mon Mar 29 16:45:04 PST 2004

The "opt out" was never explained in any grade through which I went in
elementary, junior, or high school. I grew up not only with the mandatory
pledge but also mandatory Bible-reading and the Lord's Prayer (but that's
another story).
    I am also old enough to remember doing the Pledge with what can only be
called the "Heil Hitler" salute -- before a number of people (including, as
I remember having read recently, the American Legion), recognized the
similarity of the
arm swung stiff in front of one's body to Hitlerian salutes, and it was
retracted, and we simply put our hands over our
hearts).  Did we have a chance to opt out of that fascism? You betcha we
weren't told.
     Steve Wasby