Congess's Constitutionality Authority for the Pledge ofAllegiance

Levinson SLevinson at mail.law.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 25 12:38:34 PST 2004

David Currie has a helpful discussion of such issues in the first volume of The Constitution in Congress.  There was, I believe, some debate about congressional authority re flags was tiggered by Congress's decision in 1794 to add two new stripes to the flag to signify the admission of Vermont and Kentucky to the Union.  The only plausible theory is that flags are appendages of sovereignty and that the United States, as a sovereign nation, could have a flag and Congress therefore had authority to legislate as to what the flag would look like.

sandy