The relevance of a doctrine's being

Ilya Somin isomin at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 22 21:11:31 PST 2004

Hamlin was, if I recall correctly, dropped from the 1864 ticket because
Johnson was more likely to attract "War Democrat" support for Lincoln in
the election. A Hamlin presidency would, in my view, have had much better
results for Reconstruction than the Johnson Administration did, though of
course such counterfactuals cannot be definitively proven!

My analysis above also implicitly assumes that Lincoln would still have
been assassinated had Hamlin stayed on as Veep for a second term. Possibly
Booth & Co. would have held back at the prospect of a Hamlin presidency. I
don't enough about how sophisticated they were, so I can't address that.
Still, Lincoln's decision to substitute Johnson for Hamlin must rank as
one of the great tragedies in American political history, given that in
retrospect it is clear that Lincoln would have won the election anyway
(McLellan got only 21 electoral votes), even if by a closer margin.

Ilya Somin