The relevance of a doctrine's being

Levinson SLevinson at mail.law.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 22 13:53:33 PST 2004

We will never know what Lincoln met by "with malice toward none and charity toward all."  Som of us  believe that a "successful" Reconstruction aimed at genuine "regime change" would require quite a bit of malice toward the leaders of the Confederacy.  I think that one of the dirty secrets of American history is that "we" were probably better off with Lincoln's assassination and the replacement by the extraordinarily inept Andrew Johnson than would have been the case if the savior of the Union had lived to establish dominance over the aftermath.

sandy