Marriage: Gender and Conjoined Twins

Frank Cross crossf at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 16 13:23:27 PST 2004

I have trouble seeing marriage as being about procreation.  I'm pretty
sure, from my birds and bees instruction, that we don't need marriage for
procreation.  We need marriage for parenting.  And the discussion hasn't
given much regard for the value of adoption.

I suppose one could argue that parenting one's own children is
preferable.  But parenting the children of others is surely preferable to
them receiving no parenting.  Or maybe not.  But isn't this much of the
issue?  If gay marriage furthered adoption, that would seem to be an
advantage of gay marriage.  Do the opponents disfavor gay adoption or are
there some other parenting disadvantages of gay marriage?