The Passion Movie - Question

Rick Duncan nebraskalawprof at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 4 07:26:08 PST 2004

I may be wrong but I don't recall anyone demanding
that *government* censor the Last Temptation of
Christ. Many religious folk called for a boycott of
theaters that screened the film, but I don't recall
any calls for governmental censorship or child abuse
prosecutions. My own view of the Last Temptation
(based upon what I have read, because I am not
interested in seeing it) is that it is clearly
protected by the First Amendment. I would so advise
any co-religionist of mine who wished to prosecute
people for screening it, viewing it, or for allowing
their children to view it.

Rick Duncan

--- David Cruz <dcruz at law.usc.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 paul-finkelman at utulsa.edu wrote:
>
> > [snip]  I recall a few movies that upset
> Christians
> > that led to demands that the movies not be shown
> (I cannot recall the
> > names of the films, but I am sure the movie buffs
> out there will know
> > them); [snip]
>
> Paul Finkelman asked me to post my off-list
> suggestion to him that perhaps
> "The Last Temptation of Christ" was one such movie
> he was trying to
> recall.
>
> David B. Cruz
> Professor of Law
> University of Southern California Law School
> Los Angeles, CA 90089-0071
> U.S.A.

=====
Rick Duncan
Welpton Professor of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
Lincoln, NE 68583-0902

"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle things are gone." C.S.Lewis

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered."  --The Prisoner