Selecting cases

Mark Kende kendem at selway.umt.edu
Mon Mar 1 13:44:11 PST 2004

I have to do two presentations of about an hour each to some young
legal academics, from a part of the former Soviet Union, who want to
learn about some U.S. Supreme Court decisions that reflect American
constitutional interpretation methods and principles.  These folks
speak some English.  I'm struggling with which cases to select.  On
the one hand, I'd like to pick out some cases in a single area where
the law has evolved over time, and where the decisions generally
contain explicit reasoning about the most important relevant
arguments
(regardless of result). On the other hand, I'm tempted to pick out
some of the most significant or controversial cases from different
areas. The problem there is that it would not be easy to fill these
folks in on doctrinal background for several diverse areas in a short
time.

So I'd be interested to see what list members think would be a good
group of several cases to use. I've thought of using cases on
offensive speech such as Texas v. Johnson, Cohen, and some others but
there are obviously many possibilities in other areas.  As you can
probably tell, I'm leaning towards concentrating in one area but
would welcome any input.  Off list replies are welcome so as not to
clutter the list. Thanks.

Mark Kende
Visiting Professor
Notre Dame Law School