Is the passion movie obscene?

RJLipkin at aol.com RJLipkin at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 08:19:43 PST 2004

            This discussion tracks discussions about tolerance we've had on
this List, though more abundantly on the Religion & Law List. Just who is
intolerant the person committed to a religion that denigrates or is otherwise
hostile to another person's religion. Can the former justifiably insist that the
latter should be tolerant or as Rabbi Marc Gellman and Michael Medved have said
Jews need to allow Christians to tell their story?

           Please understand I have not seen the Passion nor am I
sufficiently familiar with the theological and philosophical foundations of Christianity
to claim that Christianity is hostile to Judaism.  My point is simply a
conceptual one, namely: if Christianity is hostile to Judaism (please let me
emphasize the "if"), then I disagree vehemently with Rabbi Gellman (who, I cannot
resist revealing, wrote his dissertation on abortion under my supervision at
Northwestern University) and others who insist that Jews let Christians tell their
story.

        This issue is a difficult one for those who examine and write about
tolerance. What does tolerance dictate as the appropriate attitude of
minorities especially, but also majorities, concerning the stories of others when these
stories denigrate (truthfully or not) the stories, roles and, even in some
cases,  the existence of the individuals in question?

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Professor of Law
Widener University School of Law