Bush nominee story

RJLipkin at aol.com RJLipkin at aol.com
Fri Jun 25 05:41:13 PDT 2004

In a message dated 6/25/2004 12:57:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jeastman at chapman.edu writes:
He has made several state court appearances, and each time his lack of
compliance with the bar membership rules was simply overlooked.  Does that
disqualify him for a future appointment to the bench?
        Did the court or other relevant authority overlook his noncompliance,
that is, was his noncompliance overlooked by someone having the authority to
overlook noncompliance?
Who has the authority to overlook such noncompliance? In short, was his
noncompliance officially sanctioned?

        I remember a discussion (not on this List) about whether
nonpracticing law professors should be members of state bars as a condition of their
employment.  Indeed, my appointment to Widener's faculty (named Delaware law School
at the time) was held up for a couple of days until the Dean was able to
contact me and learn that I was a member of the California Bar.

        I can't shake the sense of incredulity over the List's discussion and
the caviler attitude that not being a licensed attorney is perfectly
compatible with appointment as a judge.

        The bottom line is this: Does being a member of a bar make an
individual a better judge or better attorney.  I think, in one sense, the answer is
resoundingly no.  However, practicing law, teaching law, and studying law as
well as judging legal conflicts requires a respect for rules even sometimes
rules having only marginal value (I'm not committing myself on whether bar
membership is a rule having only marginal value, but let's assume, for the sake of
this discussion, that it does.). While rejecting any slavish adherence to rules,
some rules should be followed even if their purpose is not always obvious,
and, in my view, bar membership is one of them. For one thing, complying with
this rule is relatively easy, and the imperative to do so seems clearly
nonpartisan.) We can change this rule, of course, and I have suggested in print that
bar membership or even law school training should not be prerequisites for
appointment to the Supreme Court. But until these rules are changed I would insist
on compliance.

        To answer John's question above. I think it is a disqualifying factor
or, if not disqualifying, then at least a strong reason for rejecting an
individual's appointment to the bench.

        In my mind, the fact that a List of law professors and legal scholars
are even having this discussion is very troubling. We generally insist that
others--students, welfare recipients, automobile drivers, and so forth follow
rules exactly, but when it comes to 'one of our own,' a waterfall of excuses
and rationalizations suddenly emerge.

      My reason for insisting that lawyers and judges are members in a bar in
the present regime requiring (or ostensibly requiring) membership is because
I simply cannot fathom the mindset of an individual who would not take such
membership seriously unless, of course, there exist overwhelming reasons for not
being licensed.  What type of personality/character must an individual
possess not to think that the requirement really applies to him, or if he thinks it
does apply, that noncompliance is no big deal? Perhaps all that this says is
that my power of imagination is abnormally limited.  But I do not for a moment
think so. Not adhering to this basic rules seems clearly to suggest a supreme
lack of self-discipline when it comes to other people and other organizations
(and even when it comes to oneself). Moreover, I think it probably suggests
other unattractive personality/character traits that probably should disqualify
an individual from appointment to the bench. (Of course, this raises the
fundamentally important question of which personality/character traits judges
should possess in a democratic republic.)

        Let me reiterate a question left unanswered in one of my earlier
posts on this thread. Do governmental officials monitor our discussions in order
to harvest arguments for and against their positions in some controversy
relevant to the List's mandate? If so, does this impose obligations on List members
regarding the content and mode of presentation of our posts?

Bobby

Robert Justin Lipkin
Widener University School of Law
Delaware