Bush nominee story

Scott Gerber s-gerber at onu.edu
Mon Jun 21 10:35:06 PDT 2004

Douglas Laycock is correct.  There is no question that a university
counsel (not to mention a D.C. lawyer, when he was practicing law in
D.C. w/o a license) is practicing law.  Indeed, the ABA spent a lot of
time over the last couple of years debating whether to create an
in-house counsel exception to the licensing requirement.  The ABA
decided to leave matters as they are:  in-house counsel, which includes
the top person (general counsel), must have a license to practice law
in the state in which they work.

Scott Gerber
Law College
Ohio Northern University