Full faith and credit and same sex marriage

Rick Duncan nebraskalawprof at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 08:44:03 PST 2004

>From what I have read, the President is not basing his support of the FMA on the Full Faith & Credit problem, but rather to provide national "clarity" on the meaning of civil marriage. Here is what he said according to the Wash Post:

"After more than two centuries of American jurisprudence and millennia of human experience, a few judges and local authorities are presuming to change the most fundamental institution of civilization."

He also specifically said that he wants to stop activist judges from changing the definition of the "most enduring human institution."

Rick Duncan
Welpton Professor of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
Lincoln, NE 68583-0902

"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle things are gone." C.S.Lewis

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered."  --The Prisoner ("Number 6")