Pryor's recess appointment

Malla Pollack mpollack at law.uoregon.edu
Sun Feb 22 13:27:25 PST 2004

If you look at the news reports, President Bush did an end run around block
age of his nominees in the Senate.  The public and the press have no doubt
that the blockage was formed by a combination of (i) a minority of
disagreeing Senators, and (ii) Senate choice and continuation of procedural
rules.  If under the Senates' own rules the nomination does not get
confirmed, the Senate has told ("advised") Bush to withdraw the nomination.
          If a member of a minority group walks into a restaurant and no
hostess or waitress responds--  No seating, no menu, no request for the
person's order  -- the restaurant has refused to serve that person.  Now the
restaurant's lawyer goes to court (to defend a civil rights suit) and he
claims that "the restaurant" did nothing because the manager did not state
expressly that service was being refused.  Would you want the jury to accept
this? I hope not.

Malla Pollack
Visiting, Univ. of Oregon, Law
541-346-1599