Marriage amendment

Ilya Somin isomin at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 12 03:27:13 PST 2004

To avoid misunderstanding, I preface this comment by noting that I do NOT
support the FMA. However, I think there is genuine doubt whether Ponnuru
or Andy Koppelman has the correct interpretation of its text.

The key question is what counts as an "incident" of marriage. It is not
clear that any benefit given to married people but not single people at
Time A is necessarily an "incident" of marriage at Time B. For example, if
a state government gives lower tax rates to married people at Time A but
then changes the tax code to give the same rate to singles, the lower tax
rate would presumably no longer be an "incident" of marriage. There are at
least 4  possible interepretations:

1. Incidents are any benefits granted  to married people, even if some
other indviduals or  groups get the same benefits.

2. Incidents are any benefits granted ONLY to the married, and the
definition is frozen in time (i.e. - you can't extend the benefit to new
groups and it doesn't matter if it's extended to singles).

3. The definition is not frozen. If singles get a benefit (e.g. - adoption
rights) once available only to the married, same-sex couples can too.

4. Only those benefits truly "vital" to marriage or uniquely linked to it
in some way are "incidents" of marriage. I suspect that this is the
definition many nonexpert supporters of FMA have in mind.

Thus, there is genuine doubt as to how broad the concept of "incident" is.
In my view, this ambiguity is another reason to oppose the FMA because we
really have no idea how broadly it will be applied and what it will
actually do; depending on which judges interpret it, there could be some
very unpleasant consequences, even from the standpoint of many opponents
of gay marriage. But I suspect that the ambiguity is an intentional ploy
to attract support and paper over disagreements among social
conservatives.

Ilya Somin

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Bryan Wildenthal wrote:

> [...]
>
> If the serious and sincere intent of the promoters of this amendment were to protect legislative statutory handiwork from judicial misinterpretation, there is either no need for it (the legislature can just amend or clarify its statutes if it thinks the judges are wrongly "construing" them), or, if the concern is that judges would improperly use their constitutional judicial review authority to "construe" (or overrule) legislative handiwork in a way the legislature could not "fix", then a much simpler and more narrow amendment could be drafted.
>
> It would say:  "Nothing in this Constitution shall be construed to require [this]/[any] State to recognize marriage [add: "or the legal incidents thereof" if one wants to prevent judicially/constitutionally imposed civil unions, etc] except between one man and one woman."
>
> There is obviously no need for a federal amendment to protect state laws and democratic preferences from state courts.  Every state has the means to amend its own state constitution to rein in its own judges if it wants to.  The only legitimate purpose of a federal amendment, from someone who sincerely wants to preserve a state option on marriage based on federalist principles, would be to provide that nothing in the U.S. Constitution shall be construed to so require [one could add "or federal law," though that would suggest irrational distrust that Congress might suddenly legislate same-sex marriage, in the teeth of popular opposition.]
>
> As I said in an editorial published on Jan. 15, 2004 in "Update," a Southern California gay newspaper (unfortunately, I cannot find an online copy of my editorial, they apparently do not archive), the most troubling language in the amendment is not the "legal incidents," or the business about "construing" but the utterly gratuitous language "nor state or federal law."
>
> I realize many backers of the amendment seem to sincerely believe that their draft will allow civil unions, etc, if adopted by legislation (or perhaps voter initiative), just not through court diktat via constitutional interpretation.  But since that goal could plainly be achieved by a much more minimal proposal, there is a heavy burden of suspicion on why they insist on including the troubling additional language, which I think most lawyers would read the way I do, even if it is confusing to befuddle a lot of non-lawyers. It is hardly a satisfying answer, as Ponnuru tries to claim, to reassure us that there would be ample "legislative history" supposedly "clarifying" that the amendment really doesn't mean, and isn't intended to mean, what the language plainly seems to say, especially since it would be so easy to redraft the language to conform to the alleged legislative intent.

  plainly says.  It might even be interpreted to prohibit courts from enforcing private contracts that give marriage-like rights to same-sex couples, since to do so would be to "construe" state law  here, state contract law - to confer such rights upon them.