authoritarianism

Sanford Levinson SLevinson at MAIL.LAW.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed Oct 23 14:38:20 PDT 2002

David Bernstein writes:

   We always should be suspicious of those in power....

Perhaps our list can be divided into those who begin from the perspective
of a "hermeneutics of suspicion," viewing most political leaders (including
those politicians-in-robes called Supreme Court (and other) judges) as
self-aggrandizing and seeking to amass authority, however defined, and
those who are more optimistic about our leaders, which means, among other
things, taking their public statements more at face value than do those in
the grip of a h-of-s.

sandy