moral equivalency

Tim Sellers msellers at UBMAIL.UBALT.EDU
Wed Nov 6 11:42:35 PST 2002

    My point was simply to explain, in response to a question,  how the
U.S. and al-Qaeda differ under international law.  This matters, because
the United States has always taken pride in respecting the rule of law,
including international law, and most American citizens (including those on
this list) would wish the United States to respect international law.

   You are right in observing that supporters of al-Qaeda have tried to
construct arguments to the contrary, and that some people of good will are
susceptible to arguments from moral equivalency.  That is why we should
take the trouble to explain the difference between al-Qaeda's position
under international law, and that of the U.S.

   I do not think that Eugene or others on this list have suggested that
the U.S. should pick and choose when to respect international law.  I think
that what they have done is to challenge the tendentious claims some people
have made on this list and elsewhere about the content of international
law, and about what institutions have the authority to determine its content.

   This matters, because if international law were to be successfully
redefined to support an equivalence between the United States and al-Qaeda,
then many people would give up on the concept of international law.  You
cannot separate law too much from justice, without discrediting the law.