Time for a new subject

Scaperlanda, Michael A mscaperlanda at OU.EDU
Mon Nov 4 13:58:51 PST 2002

Are the standardization of time and the saving of time acts undertaken based
on Congress' Commerce power?  If so, is the telling of time an
"instrumentality" of commerce?  Is it a "channel" of commerce?  If neither
instrumentality nor channel, is the telling to time an activity that
"substantially affect[s] interstate commerce"?  Even if it substantially
affects interstate commerce, it might still hypothetically be beyond
Congress' commerce power under Lopez and Morrison if the telling of time is
a non-economic activity.  As the Court in Morrison said, "While we need not
adopt a categorical rule against aggregating the effects of any noneconomic
activity in order to decide these cases, thus far in our Nation's history
our cases have upheld Commerce Cl. regulation of intrastate activity only
where that activity is economic in nature..."

Michael Scaperlanda
Gene & Elaine Edwards Family Chair in Law
University of Oklahoma College of Law
300 West Timberdell Road
Norman, Oklahoma 73019
(405) 325-4833