Judicial supremacy versus constitutional supremacy

susan bandes sbandes at CONDOR.DEPAUL.EDU
Thu Mar 22 08:07:07 PST 2001

John,

As you correctly surmise, I completely agree that judges must take precedent
into account in determining the meaning of the Constitution. The question is
how binding it should be. The question I raise (and to which I have no easy
answer) is whether capital punishment does present a special case of sorts.
In every case, the Article III judge has the duty to do justice to the
particular parties before him. What if he believes that controlling
precedent would lead to an unconstitutional execution? What is his duty?
Unfortunately, there are incentives for every decisionmaker at every level
in a capital case to assume that the ultimate responsibility for deciding
whether death is the appropriate punishment will be taken care of at some
later stage of review. What is the role of each Supreme Court justice, given
their last resort status?

Susan Bandes

John Rogers wrote...