Anti-abortion exhibit as sexual harassment?

Leslie Goldstein lesl at UDEL.EDU
Tue Mar 20 14:29:43 PST 2001

What the remarks (in the film) were is nasty in the sense of clearly
hostile to the point that hearing a lot of it would be upsetting to the
normal person.  No one likes running a gauntlet of abuse in order to do
their job.  A stray remark from the occasional jerk is no big deal, but
if one's own group is vastly outnumbered at work and there are lots of
hostile fellow workers making such remarks occasionally, it can add up,
I imagine, to something that feels like a gauntlet of abuse.  Of course
few employees are as clever as Nicholson's screenwriter in coming up
with something that is on the surface humor but underneath bitingly
hostile.  Most such cracks would just sound obviously hostile, I
imagine.  Not to hit one of your buttons (or to pretend to even) but I
am guessing that the kind of anti-gay ostensible humor AIMED DIRECTLY at
a listening gay person on the job might be the sort of "humor" that
really fits as (hostile)harassment.  I have in mind legislation that
identifies sexual orientation as protected, but of course the Sup. Ct.
seemed to include it as "on the basis of sex," in Oncale, right?
Leslie