Dale v. Boy Scouts, again

Sanford Levinson SLevinson at MAIL.LAW.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Mar 20 11:02:11 PST 2001

Shameless self-promotion:  I have a piece forthcoming in the Fordham Law
Review, entitled Compelling Collaboration With Evil?  A Comment on Crosby
v. National Foreign Trade Council, a polemic against Crosby that notes,
among other things, that the Court that unanimously said that Massachusetts
had no right to refuse to deal with companies that did business in Myanmar
ruled within a month that the BSA had an expressive right, in effect, to
refuse to deal with gays.  If the BSA has such an expressive right, why
doesns't the state of Massachusetts, at least in the absence of an explicit
congressional override?  I don't think that Massachusetts has First
Amendment rights as such, but if we take the idea of collective
self-expression seriously, then should we accord states at least *some*
such right?  I ask this as a real question, not simply rhetorically.  After
all, a right of state self-expression is, at bottom, the defense of
continuing to place Confederate flags on contemporary state flags and
displaying offensive statuary in front of state capitals and the like.

sandy