"The Greatest Justices" List

Judith Baer jbaer at POLITICS.TAMU.EDU
Wed Mar 7 11:17:12 PST 2001

In my opinion, Rehnquist no more belongs on the list of great justice than
Reagan belongs on the list of great presidents, and for the same reason:
unacceptable ideology.

I do not think any list of criteria can exclude normative factors.  I don't
propose a political test, but I think that there is such a thing as opinions
which no responsible public official should hold.  WHR's part in Bush V.
Gore is one such Furthermore, some of the decisions he has participated in,
like the recent 11th Amendment cases, are incompetent readings of the
Constitution.

Judy Baer
Texas A&M