Affirmative action redux

Judith Baer jbaer at POLITICS.TAMU.EDU
Wed Mar 7 09:36:05 PST 2001

I'm disturbed by an assumption I find (perhaps wrongly) lurking in these
last posts: that one is appointed EITHER on affirmative action OR on merit.
Remember, personnel experts tell us that of the time there is no "best
person for the job;" there are several well qualified candidates, any one of
whom would probably do fine (as well as a pool of minimally qualified
candidates, and some who are unqualified.) Remember, also, that to make aff.
action and merit mutually exclusive is part of the reason we have this
problem.

Judy Baer
Texas A&M