More on eligibility to be President

gerald neuman gln1 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Aug 9 11:35:34 PDT 2000

I'm not sure why Sandy is confident that it follows from the Insular Cases
that the phrase "the United States" in Art. II, sec. 1, cl. 5 would
necessarily be interpreted as excluding the unincorporated territories.
Is there precedent or dictum specifically addressing this -- if so, I've
forgotten.  Couldn't it be concluded that there is nothing "anomalous"
about including the unincorporated territories in this phrase?
In the other direction, would Sandy also assume that the phrase "nine
Years a Citizen of the United States" in the qualifications for Senators,
and "seven Years a citizen of the United States" in the qualifications for
the House, excludes citizens born in unincorporated territories (do we
have precedents on that?); and indeed would a citizen born in an
unincorporated territory not be a "natural born Citizen", despite the absence of the geographical qualifier?  [To state
the obvious, I recognize that Sandy is not in favor of any such
exclusions.]
        -- Gerry Neuman