The Founders and Slavery

Leslie Goldstein lesl at UDEL.EDU
Fri Apr 21 10:59:59 PDT 2000

Is Paul arguing that this bill was a get-rid-of-free-blacks bill rather
than an emancipation bill?
I do have trouble seeing how keeping the offspring of female slaves in
slavery for perpetuity is an "emancipation bill"
especially since notoriously the slaves in the U.S.(especailly the
northern south) increased their population even without importation.
an aside--I see tom as condemning not Paul as Marxist but condemning all
extremism (even of the right?) as akin somehow to Marxism in the evils
it is willing to countenance.  I cannot , however, help adding that Marx
himself did not particularly dislike chattel slavery (or so I am told by
historians) an d viewed "wage slavery" as the greater evil.