VAWA

Leslie Goldstein lesl at UDEL.EDU
Thu Sep 30 09:30:16 PDT 1999

what is wrong with the Civil Rights Cases is its inattention to the
"privileges and Immunities" precedent of Corfield v. Coryell which had
made clear that equality of access to the public sphere of the
marketplace/the world of commerce was in this society a "privilege or
immunity of citizenship."  The VAWA is different in that it really does
point to the issue of "proteciton of the law."
Leslie Goldstein