[Bioinformatics] Today's Bioinformatics Seminar: Mark Craven, Ph.D.

Bioinformatics IDP-Seminar Series bioinformatics at lists.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 25 08:39:45 PDT 2011

"Learning to Exploit the Biological Literature
for Understanding Intracellular Networks"

Mark Craven, Ph.D.
Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics;
Department of Computer Sciences;
University of Wisconsin, Madison

TODAY, April 25, 2011
4:00pm
Gonda 1357

Abstract:
Many contemporary biological studies are focused on uncovering and reasoning about the molecular networks involved in processes such as how viruses take advantage of their host cells, and how stem cells differentiate into specialized cell types.  Although these studies typically employ biological knowledge that has been encoded in structured databases, most of the scientific community's collective knowledge is not represented in such databases, but instead is present only in the literature.  In this talk, I will describe several areas in which we have been developing and applying machine-learning methods in order to exploit the biomedical literature to support reasoning about intracellular networks.  In particular, I will focus on describing approaches for incorporating domain knowledge into topic modeling, and learning to extract complex regulatory relationships from biomedical articles

Host: Matteo Pellegrini, x50012
Refreshments will be served after the seminar

IMPORTANT WARNING: This email (and any attachments) is only intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. You, the recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner. Unauthorized redisclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality may subject you to federal and state penalties. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify us by return email, and delete this message from your computer.