[Avrora] a few basics of avrora doubts

Benjamin Titzer ben.titzer at gmail.com
Mon May 24 12:27:17 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Kiraneet sharma
<kiraneet.sharma at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have developed two applications and i am comparing these in terms of time
> and energy. I have a few doubts:
>
> 1) What are we specifying when we write -seconds=20 ?
>
> Because, even when we specify something like where time is given in seconds
>
> $ avrora -simulation=sensor-network -seconds=20 -monitors=energy
> -topology=myto
> po.top -nodecount=20 pro-da1.od >pro-da1-topo.txt
>
> we get
>
> Simulated time: 147456000 cycles
> Time for simulation: 76.719 seconds
> Total throughput: 38.440544 mhz
> Throughput per node: 1.9220271 mhz
>
> so what is the maening of setting seconds parameter ? which time for
> simulation is correct ?

It sets the amount of simulated time (in seconds, of course). The first line
reports the number of simulated cycles, which is the clockspeed of the
simulated device times the number of seconds.

The second line is the amount of wall clock (i.e. real) time used by the
simulator. Thus the third and fourth line tell you about the performance of
the simulator, not of the simulated program.

These values are not reported by default in the latest version of Avrora,
since they are not useful to most users.

2) When i compare the two applications on basis of packets, one of these
> shows a very high value of corrupted packets
> what could be the reason ? what is the meaning of corrupted packets here ?
> the topology file used is the same for both

It depends on the applications' radio behavior. Perhaps one application
transmits more packets or longer packets, or the application has a tendency
to transmit packets at roughly the same time and therefore incur more
collisions.

> 3) I have a problem in simulating the scenario
>
> two cases have to be compared, one has a base station and the other does
> not.
>
> for this if i write something like this for first case
>
> node0 50 50 0
> node1 2  2 0
> node2 7 3 0
> node3 6 4 0
> node4 8 5 0
> node5 5 12 0
>
> i.e. node 0 which is base station is far away from field
>
> and for second case
>
> node0 5 5 0
> node1 2  2 0
> node2 7 3 0
> node3 6 4 0
> node4 8 5 0
> node5 5 12 0
>
> i.e. all nodes are in field
>
> the problem is that avrora may drop the transmissions to base station
> easily because of the long distance.
> so how do i solve this ?

Use different distances. It is simulation, after all.

> specifically how can we make the above mentioned scenarios work in avrora ?
>
> 4) Which energy model is used by avrora and is it based on distance ?
>
> Thanking you in advance...

Energy consumption does not depend on distance, but on transmission power.

-B