[Avrora] Testing energy-efficient MAC protocols with AvroraZ

rodolfo de paz rodolfo.depaz at cit.ie
Fri Jul 24 08:39:27 PDT 2009

Hi Vincent,

I extended the avrora code (creating what we called avroraz) in order to
support the emulation of the meshmac protocol which is an extension of
the IEEE 802.15.4 beacon enabled mode to support mesh networking. Among
other features, I added the CCA and the radio power state machine
support for the cc2420 radio chip. Note that all the changes I did to
create avroraz were uploaded to the avrora main branch so you can
download the code from http://avrora.cvs.sourceforge.net/.

We used duty cycling by issuing a superframe with BO > SO and switching
the radio to the idle power mode during the inactive period. The CCA was
used in the tinyos protocol as it is described in the CSMA/CA procedure
of the standard. The code we used for evaluation is similar to the one
that resides at
http://tinyos.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tinyos/tinyos-2.x/tos/lib/net/z
igbee/ieee802154/.

I am not familiar with the Tinyos LPL mechanism and I have not tested it
with the emulator so I cannot ensure that it works properly. It seems
that Alban was working on it, maybe he found what was the problem?

I forward this email to the avrora list.

Hope this helps,

Rodolfo